The cut-off yield on the Singapore T-bill rose to 4.07%, and applications for the latest SSB increased.
There was plenty of good news for savers in the past week with higher interest rates.
However, the higher bond yields have meant further weakness in the share price of REITs, with many hitting a multi-year low. We analyse if the sell-off presents a buying opportunity for Mapletree Pan Asia Commercial Trust and OUE Commercial REIT.
🛢 OIL PRICES SURGE
Oil prices climbed to the highest level this year, reaching a high of above $95 per barrel.
What does this mean?
The recent spike in oil prices was a result of Russia and Saudi Arabia’s announcement that they will extend production cuts through the end of 2023.
On the other hand, oil demand has remained resilient despite concerns about a global economic slowdown.
Higher oil prices led to concerns that inflation may remain elevated and global central banks will have to keep interest rates higher for longer. Government bond yields rose further as a result.
Why should I care?
According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), the extension of output cuts will “lock in a substantial market deficit” into the fourth quarter of this year.
Companies in oil and gas related segments including oil exploration and production, as well as offshore marine services may benefit from an increase in oil prices.
💡 THE BIG IMPORTANT STORY
Venture Corp saw its share price hit a year-low recently amid a flurry of headwinds.
🚗 WHAT'S MOVING
- Venture Corp fell 5.4% in the past week to a 1-year low, driven by concerns about its exposure to the electronics sector. Click here for Venture share price and analysis.
- OUE Commercial REIT gained 6.8% in the past week, rebounding from a one-year low. Click here for OUE Commercial REIT share price and analysis.
- Frasers Centrepoint Trust has announced the proposed divestment of 143.9 million units in Hektar REIT for $37.4 million. Following the divestment which is expected to be completed in 4Q23, FCT will hold around 2.12% of Hektar REIT. Click here for Frasers Centrepoint Trust share price and analysis.
- Nio said that it currently has no “reportable capital raising activity” in response to media reports that the company is considering raising capital from investors. Click here for Nio share price and analysis.
- Alibaba (BABA) said in a regulatory filing that it plans to list its logistics unit Cainiao on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. Upon completion of the spinoff, Alibaba will continue to hold more than 50% of the shares of Cainiao. Click here for Alibaba share price and analysis.
Source: Bloomberg, CNBC, Financial Times, Business Times, Edge Singapore
🤓 WHAT WE’RE LOOKING OUT FOR THIS WEEK
- Tuesday, 3 Oct: SIAS Corporate Connect: Thakral Corp
- Friday, 6 Oct: US Nonfarm Payrolls data
Source: Bloomberg, SGX
👩💻 WATCH OUR RECAP
Missed out on what has been happening in the markets? We're pleased to partner with Securities Investors Association Singapore (SIAS) to bring you a Weekly Market Review. Catch the video every Monday on Facebook.
Weekly Sprout Newsletter 🌱
Gain financial insights in minutes
The newsletter that keeps you up-to-date on the financial markets. It’s fun, informative, and free!
Subscribe to the Weekly Sprout Newsletter to gain financial insights in minutes
We’re on a mission to help you improve your financial wellness. Beansprout believes that with the right tools and knowledge, everyone can be an investor. And a really smart one at that!